Frequently Asked Questions

On this page you will find answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). When you have additional questions, or you want more information about a certain topic, you can of course contact us any time.

Do I need a visa for Peru?

In general citizens of the countries in the listing below do NOT have to apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate before entering Peru. A passport valid for more than six months, with at least 2 free pages in the visa section, is enough to get a Tourist Visa (actually it’s only an entry stamp) directly at the border or the airport. When you ask for it politely you can get a 183 days visa, but sometimes ‘only’ 90 days will be granted.
Citizens of the following countries (ordered by continent) can enter Peru with a simple Tarjeta Andina de Migración (collected and completed when entering the country). All other nationalities must apply for a tourist visa through their embassy or consulate before traveling to Peru.
• North America: Citizens of the United States, Canada and Mexico
• Central America: Citizens of most Central American countries (exception Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic)
• South America: Citizens of all South American countries
• Europe: Citizens of all countries within the European Union and Switzerland
• Africa: Citizens of South Africa
• Asia: Citizens of Brunei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand
• Oceania: Citizens of Australia and New Zealand

Is there a minimum availability?

Volunteering has a minimum availability of 4 weeks.

Our most popular package is 12 weeks (4 weeks Spanish, 8 weeks volunteer work). However, shorter periods of commitment can be discussed. When you already speak Spanish, you can directly start with volunteer work. Or follow an advanced language course.

For the projects involving young children we really prefer a 2 month availability in the projects. The kids will attach to you and too many goodbyes will not be beneficial for them at all. When the project is in urgent need of volunteers, shorter periods are a possibility. Volunteers who are longer available will always have our preference. When you have a good explanation and motivation for a shorter stay, you can of course contact us.

When can I start?

You can start the first Monday of every month. Just be aware that various projects are closed or downsized from the end of December till the beginning of March. Each project has its specific details written under it. Notify us at least 6 weeks in advance and take the 4 weeks Spanish course in consideration with your planning. You will also need at least 6 weeks for your vaccinations.

How do I apply?

We start with email contact. When you decide to come to Peru, we will first have a Skype call. We send you an overview of your possible program, with the time line and the costs.

When you like the offer, we will send you our application form. When you fill it out and send it back to us, we can make your Volunteer contract. You sign the contract and send it back to us. To complete the reservation process, you will make a 25% reservation payment.

What does a day of a volunteer in Peru look like?

On our page Volunteer work you can check out what a day of a volunteer in Peru can look like.

Most volunteers start with a Spanish language course. Four hours per day, Monday to Friday, for a duration of 4 weeks. The weekends are free.
In the evening there are cultural activities like Salsa classes, cooking lessons, a Movie night and a hike to Saturday. The activities are included in the program costs (exept for the hike and the Boleto Turistico). Transport to the activities will have to be paid by the volunteer.

Do I need vaccinations?

Yes, you will need vaccinations.
Everybody will need yellow fever, hepatitis A/B, DTP (diphtheria ,tetanus and pertussis) vaccinations before entering Peru.
Optional: meningococcal and rabies.

Always check your local health clinic before leaving to Peru.

Do I need a return ticket?

Yes, you will need a return ticket. The Peruvian rules require you to have a proof of an onward travel ticket (which can be a return ticket or an onward bus or flight ticket to another country).
When you will travel with a one-way flight you take the risk of not being able to access the plane upon departure, or having trouble entering Peru.

What do I pack for my trip to Peru?

On our blog you will find a packing list.
You do not need to bring bed sheets, but you will need to bring your own towels.

The items mentioned in the packing list are a general idea for you to pack. Of course it depends on the items you regularly use yourself.
A good rain/wind coat, enough clothes layers (temperature differences between sun and shade and day- and nighttime are big!), a hat and sun cream are always needed.

What is the Boleto Turistico?

The Boleto Turistico is the Tourist ticket for Inca ruins and museums in Cusco and the Sacred Valley. During your Spanish course, your teacher will accompany you to some of the 16 sites.
Contact us with all you questions about the Boleto Turistico, but first you can read all the details about the Boleto Turistico on our Blog:


Watch our video Contact us